Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Best graduate school for Zoology, Wildlife Bio or Conservation Bio?

Ideally, I would like to go to a graduate school where I could work with animals. One that has a zoo, maybe? I am about to Graduate with a BS in Biology, Chem minor. I have the grades to get in just about anywhere, but money is a factor. Do any animal programs offer stipends?Best graduate school for Zoology, Wildlife Bio or Conservation Bio?
If your grades are that good, try for a National Science Foundation fellowship. I had a friend who kept getting them year after year. He had such a great set-up (living in the French Quarter of New Orleans) that he never wanted to get his degree. He had to be pushed out.





If your grades aren't THAT good, you can probably get research or teaching fellowships.





As far as which school to go to, I'm biassed toward Cornell University in all three fields. If I force myself to be honest, I must admit that there are dozens, if not hundreds, of good graduate schools. The only one with a zoo (well, a couple of live animals, anyway) that I know of is the U. of Michigan. At this point in your education, you shouldn't have to ask. Read the journals in your field and find articles of interest by people affilliated with a university. Essentially, you pick a faculty advisor, rather than a school. That will give you a short- list. Narrow the list down further by writing to the author. If you get no response, delete that school. If you get a detailed response, you are likely to get all the help you need with your own research from that person.Best graduate school for Zoology, Wildlife Bio or Conservation Bio?
Colorado State University (Zoology, Wildlife Bio, Conservation Bio)


Kansas State University (Zoology, Wildlife Bio, Conservation Bio)


University of Missouri (Zoology, Wildlife Bio)


University of Texas (Wildlife Bio, Conservation Bio)








Those are some of the better programs unless you think you can get into specific programs...they usually require a degree base prior anyway.
Wisconsin also has a great wildlife program, from what I've heard. Texas State does, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment