Saturday, August 21, 2010

Is it better to get a wildlife biology and recreation degrees from Humboldt State University or Cal Poly SLO?

Cal Poly in SLO receives much more funding from the state than CSU Humboldt. Therefore, the education there should be better as they have more resources to hire better teachers and provide the best facilities and materials. On the other hand, Cal Poly in SLO is considered the best state university in CA.Is it better to get a wildlife biology and recreation degrees from Humboldt State University or Cal Poly SLO?
I have heard good things about both universities. I have some friends who go to Humboldt and like it. I hear Matt Johnson is a good advisor for students majoring in wildlife biology. I went to Cal Poly, Pomona to earn my zoology degree...and their curriculum and professors where great...but the university was SO overcrowded when I was there, it was impossible to get classes!! Hope SLO does not have the same problem.Is it better to get a wildlife biology and recreation degrees from Humboldt State University or Cal Poly SLO?
While I have been to neither one of those schools - I am a wildlife biologist and I am very active in professional wildlife societies. I went to college and now leave in the southeastern US and I am familiar with Humboldt through the professional wildlife meetings. They always have students at national meetings and compete in quiz bowl (and are very good). Humbodt has a good reputation for wildlife biology in the professional community. I am not saying that Cal Poly doesn't - I am just not familiar with that college's wildlife program. If you do decide to major in wildilfe at either school I highly recommend getting very active in The Wildlife Society as soon as possible. This will give you lots of great experience and get you involved in the professional side of wildlife.





Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment